Sunday, November 9, 2008

Kombucha Tea Anyone?

I stumbled on this phenomenon quite accidentally over on Etsy one day (a very wonderful seller - Wells of Health -http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5763037). I ordered it, "grew" it & haven't stopped since! What is you ask? Kombucha is the Western name for sweetened tea that has been fermented using a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms called a "kombucha colony". The culture contains a symbiosis of Aceetobacter (acetic acid bacteria) and yeast, . The culture itself looks somewhat like a large pancake, and though often called a mushroom, or by the acronym SCOBY (for "Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast"), it is clinically known as a zoogleal mat. (Thanks Wikipedia). It dates back to 250BC China. It is quite common in China & many other parts of the world & it is now gaining popularity in the US. You need the SCOBY first, you then brew your favorite tea, add about 1/2 cup sugar, add the SCOBY & let it "ferment". Then add ice & drink away - it is a tangy tea which is a great change of pace from anything I normally drink & while I can't claim I am "cured" of anything - it makes me feel better going a little natural. DH & DS tasted some of this today & loved it - I told them it was home brewed ice-tea -but left out the "mushroom part"

No comments: