Sunday, January 4, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergant.......

To continue my quest for going green & for also wanting to economize I have begun to make my own cleaning solutions. The first one is laundry detergent. Simple really -grate one bar of Fels-Naptha soap & boil it down to melt it (I used an old pot), 1/2c Borax & 1 c washing soda. Mix thoroughly in a 5 gallon bucket, and then add enough hot water to fill the bucket. The solution will gel up - but will be easy to pour it into an empty container (I used an empty Tide container) - fill it half way & then the rest with hot water - shake well & shake well each time you use it. I use 1/4c per wash in my front loader - I did some quick calculations & figured that it costs .0125 per load - can you believe it?

The other equally easy solution I made recently is a fabric deodorizer (Febreeze)
Mix together 1/4c of your favorite fabric softener, 1T of baking soda & 2c of hot water in a spray bottle.







I love the way this smells & makes the fabric feel - I figure this to be equal to .50 for the bottle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to do laundry is to put 3 or 4 soapberries in the wash. They grow on the Chinaberry tree and have been used for thousands of years. They work very effectively.